Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It can't be all business

So some of you know that I got a new calling at church. I was called at Stake Conference to be the Stake Primary President. So one of my responsibilities is to travel to the other LDS Churches in our Stake. The first one was in Kirksville MO last Sunday. Jamie my counselor went with me. We left Saturday night because it takes a little over 2 hours to get there and our first meeting was at 7:30 sunday morning. I am not a morning person so we decided to get a hotel room and stay the night. We had a great time driving there even though we got major lost - Jason is known the world wide as a walking atlas so therefore he refuses to get a GPS. I have said I don't need a TomTom I have a Jason. He loves it!! So without a GPS and way too much talking and not paying attention to the signs we went a good hour out of our way. Oh it was great. As we got into the back roads of Missouri (you have to drive them to appreciate them) we decided to get gas when we found a station so we wouldn't have to get it on Sunday. So we come to a station and these are the pumps we see.

It's a good thing Jamie knew how to use them. I told her I'd pay for the gas since she was driving. She started to pump the gas and I gave her my debit card. Well you guessed it there's not slot for the card I'll admit I was a little confused. So I go in the gas station hoping they take debit cards. I walk in and there is no one in the store, all the lights are on but not a person to be found. Not a noise. I yelled "Hello" still no one. I yell again not a sound. My imagination starts get away from me, is some on in the back hurt? All the scary scenario's playing in my mind!! Jamie's walks in and I tell her no one is here. I see an ATM in the corner, should I get the cash and just leave it on the counter with a note? I yell one more time and then a skinny, straggly hair, snaggle toothed lady comes out of the back. I look at her hands to see if they might have blood on them. Nope all clean -what a relief. I give her my debit card she runs it through all is well and I get the heck out of there. Oh safe on the road again. We made it to our hotel safe and sound. Sunday we got up and ready and went to our meetings. Good meetings and good to meet new people. On our way home (we didn't get lost thank you) we see this

In a pasture. It gave us a good laugh we pulled over and took a picture. That camel turned, looked at us and posed I'm not even kidding!
So if this first trip is at all a preview as to how the rest of our trips will be then bring it on. I am so looking forward to it. It was great!!!

7 comments:

Becky said...

I do know you to have fun whenever you can and it seems to find you even in the back roads of MO. You'll be great as Stake Primary President.

Anonymous said...

Laura I would go with you on a road trip in a heart beat! you crack me up so much!
Hey did you know in OR it is against the law to pump your own gas?! I've become quite spoiled!! :O)

Mandy said...

Huh, that is interesting, Karen's comment.

What a funny trip. I am glad you weren't alone!

Adventures In The Land Of Hahl said...

oh laura - what an adventure! when we are traveling back that way we always hit mo at night and those highways are so scary dark. i can't believe the antique gas pump works.....
congrats?? on the calling btw

Unknown said...

That was a lot of fun. I've never been so un-worried about being lost. We are going to have such fun in this calling. lol

Lori said...

I haven't seen a pump like that in years!

Let me know if you come to the Jefferson City area.

tacy said...

oh my gosh! my imagination would have gone in the same exact direction!